Snowy White Chocolate Crescents
1½ cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 stick (½ cup) salted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
½ cup confectioners’sugar
* Preheat oven to 325°
* In a small bowl, combine flour and cocoa. Mix well with a wire whisk and set aside.
* In a medium bowl, cream butter ans sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add vanilla and egg, and beat until light and smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add flour and cocoa mixture. Blend on low speed until fully incorporated. The dough with be dry and crumbly.
* Shape a level tablespoon of dough into a 3½-inch log. Slightly bend the log to form a crescent shape. Form remaining dough into crescents, and place on ungreased baking sheets, 1 inch apart. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until the outside of cookie is hard but the center remains soft.
* Cool on pan for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a flat surface to cool a few minutes more. While still warm, roll the cookies in confectioners’ sugar until coated.
- rolling them into balls instead of crescents
- making them with spelt flour (half white spelt/half whole spelt)
- making them with sucanat or agave
- using only 1/2 cup of sugar/sucanat
- using almond extract instead of vanilla extract (and adding a bit more to make them almondy yummy)
- adding a dash of cinnamon to the recipe
- using a scant 1/4 of apple sauce instead of the egg